I know I haven't posted in a while--shame on me:(--but new ideas have been sparking in the attic and I must admit, I've been doing the thing I love most. Writing.
But as I was perusing through my files, looking for the tiniest bit of information I need for my current WIP, I happened on a blog post I wrote some time ago.
It's pretty good, I think, and it'd be a shame to let it just gather cyber dust, so here goes...
None of us are born feeling sexy. It's a revelation that comes when you meet someone who adores you enough to make you feel sexy and then you start to own it.
Yes! I'm loved and I'm sexy!
But as time goes on and work, financial and family responsibilities and the honey-do list take up more of your gray matter space than you ever thought it would, sexy goes on the back burner.
Sexy? Who me? At my age?
Just in case you forgot how, here's five ways to get your Sexy Mojo back for $10 bucks or less!
1. Free samples: most department stores that have a significant cologne or perfume section are willing to give out free samples. Spray a little on a piece of paper, figure out if you like the scent and then ask for a sample if its available (if the sales person makes a face, tell him/her you want to test it out on your skin for a day or so to prevent an allergic reaction. Saying this usually shuts it all down. EVERYBODY is scared of a rash.) As a matter of fact, get as many free samples as your hands can hold and THEN take them home and figure out what you like and wear it well. Then go to another department store and get a few more samples. Either way you do it, free is free!
2. Another free thing you can do is get your face made up in the department store (or MAC or Sephora) but be warned, you usually have to buy something before the makeup artist invests all that time in creating the perfect face for you. But this trick is something my niece taught me when she was getting ready for her prom and it worked! She came home looking like a million bucks because her face was made up by a professional (but she spent quite a bit on her new products too:0).
3. If you're a woman with a dollar to spare, most chain pharmacies like Rite aid or CVS have cheap lipstick and some days they have cheap lip stick on sale. Find the 99 cent section and pick a shade you normally wouldn’t. Wear it around the house on your day off so you can get used to seeing it on your face and then try it out on a Saturday when you’re at the supermarket before you decide to wear it to work or your kid’s play (as a matter of fact, if you decide to make any kind of dramatic change to your make up routine, I highly recommend you apply the new look at home and keep checking yourself out before you debut it on the street. YOU have to be comfortable with your new look before anyone else is.
4. If you’ve got anywhere from $5 to $10, get yourself some sexy underwear. I know that thongs are supposed to be the epitome of sexy underwear for women but for some of us it’s a little drastic (in my opinion they feel like a thumb in your ass all day. But if that's a feeling you enjoy, by all means, go for it!) If not, I suggest starting with Cheeky panties, especially if you’re a granny panty or high cut brief kind of lady. Cheekies let a little bootie hang out while still providing coverage, and they feel sexy! If you’re blessed with curves try Torrid (I love that they start at size zero for big women) and Lane Bryant. Both of these stores have an online presence and they carry sexy bras and panties for women with curves. Or if you’re fortunate enough to get your new undies wherever panties are sold, shop around for a sale but don’t spend more than ten bucks for a pair in case you don’t like them.
5. For men, if you're a breezy boxer or whitey tightey kind of guy, try the form fitting boxer brief. They hug your thighs, give your manhood some support, and the soft cotton conforms to your body making you look and feel tight and well put together. Find a pair at TJ Maxx and Marshalls for a little less than $10. If it turns out they’re not for you (I suggest wearing them on Saturdays for a week or two before you make a decision) then try the buck naked underwear at Duluth trading company. I know a guy who told me that they’re barely there ;)
Now you’ve taken a few steps and made some subtle changes in your life, Bravo! It’s the beginning of a new beginning. Now’s the time to endorse these changes to yourself.
Join in on the conversation! I look forward to hearing from you.
Remember, always take time to water your own garden